Welcome to My Deliciously Healthy Kitchen, let me show you how food can make you look and feel great!

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Too many spuds?

 Potatoes, a staple that we all have in the cupboard, something we all pretty much take for granted and strangely something that certain "diets" can advise you to avoid. 

 Potatoes are a natural carbohydrate that are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium and Manganese which are all essential for our well being and they are low in saturated fat and sodium which is essential for keeping that nasty ol' cellulite at bay! I personally can't see any reason for not having a few spuds. You need carbs for energy, simple.

 As you can probably guess I am not recommending slathering them in a jar of goose fat or deep frying the chipped variety but in moderation and with a little imagination there are planty of things that are healthy and delicious to do with them!

 Now last week my veg box had a ton of them in it and I thought it was about time I gave that Italian favourite a go, Gnocchi. So easy and quick too, and I reckon the kids would love to help making these too. Just boil 500g potatoes whole in their skins until soft, then peel, mash and mix with 125g plain flour or pasta flour if you have it. Then roll it out into sausages and chop into 1 inch pieces. Add a touch more flour if they're too sticky. 

 Pop them into boiling water and when the come to the surface they are done, takes minutes!  Go on give it a go!


I served mine with roasted squash and red onions also from my veg box and a sprinkle of Pecorino (Italian Unpasteurised sheeps cheese), accompanied by a bowl of green salad topped with seeds.

Website coming soon!!!

E xx