Welcome to My Deliciously Healthy Kitchen, let me show you how food can make you look and feel great!

Monday 14 January 2013

The plant eating carnivore!

    Now you may have heard me mention before that Mr My Deliciously Healthy Kitchen is a committed meat eater and although it has taken me many many years of force feeding and creative cookery (sneakiness mostly) he is now pretty healthy, and although I wouldn't say he is a vegetable freak, he will now partake in a the odd dish of vegetable goodness without grumbling!

   For some strange reason (pandering mothers me thinks) it seems to be much more common with men being fussy eaters and them "not liking" vegetables. Take no prisoners, we all need vegetables for all of their vitamins and minerals that our bodies need to function effectively and to keep us healthy and fighting fit. If you have one of these nightmare eaters then try starting off with the sweeter vegetables like carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, peppers and try roasting them or souping, I assume its like trying a child with new foodstuffs! Perserverance is your only weapon, you'll wear them down eventually!!

   And so last week after all of the excesses of the last month I thought it was time for a little extra veggielicousness to be added to my Mr's life! It took until Thursday before he asked whether he was having a meat free week! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all vegetarian, some vegan and he did not complain once, he even chose egg on toast over a bacon sarnie whilst out on a work breakfast with his fellow building buddies, a surprise indeed! And he did'nt complain all week! this is the man who 17 years ago would not touch a single vegetable, literally not one!!!

   Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against meat eating. I just choose not to eat it myself and its not anything to do with being an animal lover. I just feel better without it and I don't miss it. I cook it and prepare it and happily provide dinner guests with it but from a health point of view it comes down to how much we consume, far too much. Its just like everything else in life, having a little bit of what you fancy is good for you but have everything in moderation. Oh and always eat your greens!

Fill up on fresh and healthy fruit and vegetables aim for AT LEAST 5 a day, try to make it 7!
Eat red meat  in moderation, no more than 4 times a month and make sure your meat portion is around 100g or no bigger than your palm or a pack of cards.




Don't forget to sign up for the new My Deliciously Healthy Kitchen newsletter HERE.

Website coming soon, more cookery classes coming soon, email me at emshealthykitch@gmail.com
for more details.