Now the lovely ladies over at Joie de Vivre have set us a challenge, 2 weeks to get hot for Valentines! The challenge is this: more water, no alcohol and no sugar for the next 14 days! Easy!
I drink gallons of water and I avoid sugar but my down fall is always the alcohol! So I decided it would do me good to join in with this challenge and in turn I will share a few recipes to help us on our way to Get Hot For Valentines!!! Come on give it a go!!!!
So here's the first clean, green and lean recipe to get you started!
- 6 tablespoons of quinoa
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- ½ a cup of mixed seeds
- 1/2 cucumber, cubed
- 2 handfuls of raw kale, sliced
- A large handful of fresh herbs, such as parsley, mint, basil or coriander roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
You will need
- 1 large bowl
- 1 saucepan
- Chopping board
- All purpose knife
- Put the quinoa and into the saucepan and pour in the boiling water, approx 2cm above the quinoa.
- Bring to the boil, cover and allow to soft boil for around 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat once the water has been absorbed and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables and herbs as required above.
- Once all of the water has soaked into the quinoa and it is soft, fluff it up with a fork and add all of the veg, seeds, herbs, oil and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your own taste.
You can use brown rice, cous cous or wholemeal pasta or bulgur wheat instead.
A great lunch on its own or add chicken or smoked mackerel in place of the cheese for dinner!
Have a great (hangover free) weekend peeps!