The ladies who threw down the get hot for Valentines challenge share the same thoughts on food as I do so in support of their healthy ways I am sharing some clean, lean and green recipes throughout this 14 day challenge.
Here's a lovely little dish that is just bursting with anti-oxidising spices that also packs a punch in the flavour stakes, it tastes good, it does good!
Warm spiced green lentils and bulghur wheat with sweet peppers and melting onions
· ½ cup of small green lentils (Puy or lentilles vert)
· ½ cup of bulghur wheat
· ½ teaspoon turmeric
· ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
· ½ teaspoon ground ginger
· ½ a red pepper diced
· ½ a green pepper diced
· 1 large white onion sliced
· 2 garlic cloves crushed
· 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
· 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
· ½ lemon juiced
· 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil
- Place the lentils, bulghur wheat and ground spices (not seeds) into a pan and cover with 2 cups of water, bring to the boil and then turn down to the lowest heat and cover for approximately 20 minutes or until the water is all absorbed and the grain and lentils are cooked
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, coriander and cumin seeds and the garlic. Cover and allow to soften, for around 10 minutes.
- Then add the peppers to the onions and carry on cooking, about another 10 minutes. Leave uncovered.
- Check your bulghur and lentils, once cooked through season to your taste and add the lemon juice.
- Plate up and pile the onions and peppers on to the top. Serve with a green salad.
· Enjoy as part of a mezze with some hummus, grilled veggies and pitta bread.
· Pile onto salad leaves for a delicious lunch.
· Serve with grilled fish or chicken.
For more deliciously healthy recipes why not come along to the next My Deliciously Healthy Kitchen Cookery Class?
Saturday 23rd February
Witherdens Hall, Wingham
Introductory price of £65pp
Includes refreshments, 3 course lunch with wine and a recipe pack to take away.
To book click HERE